Customers Also Shopped
HMS Surprise 7" Description
Ready for Immediate Display - Not a Model Ship kit
One of the British Royal Navy's legendary ships, the HMS Surprise was present at the massive bombardment of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812 - the same battle that inspired the writing of the Star Spangled Banner. Stunningly recreated by hand, from 100% solid wood, with detailed painting, rigging, and sails, this toy ship makes a perfect gift for any child or nautical enthusiast. Both an important piece of history and a handsome ship to set your eyes upon, this wonderful model adds a touch of grace and sophistication to any room in the home or office.
- Arrives fully assembled with all sails mounted
- Handcrafted wooden hull and masts
- 13 handsewn white cloth sails
- 2 anchors with metal chain attached
- Metal nameplate on wooden base identifies the ship as the HMS Surprise
HMS Surprise was a 38-gun frigate of the Hebe Class of the Royal Navy, although all these Fifth Rate frigates were re-classed as 46-gun under the general re-rating of February 1817, from when cannonades on the quarter deck and forecastle were included in the rating. She carried a complement of 284 officers and ratings, and a primary armament of 28 eighteen-pounder guns on her upper deck, with 8 nine-pounder guns (and 6 32-pounder cannonades) on her quarter deck and 2 nine-pounder guns (and 2 more 32-pounder cannonades) on her forecastle.
The Surprise was ordered on 10 April 1809, and her keel was laid down at Milford Dockyard in Pembrokeshire in January 1810. She was launched on 25 July 1812, and sailed round to Plymouth Dockyard to be completed. Fitting out took place between 9 Augustand 1 December 1812, and she was commissioned in September 1812 under the command of Captain Sir Thomas John Cochrane, sailing for the West Indies on 19 December 1812. She measured 150 feet 4 inches on the gun deck, with a breadth of 40 feet and a half-inch, and a depth in hold of 12 feet 9 inches, giving a tonnage of just over 1,072.
Under Cochrane's command, she served initially on the Leeward Islands, where she captured the American 12-gun privateer Decatur on 16 January 1813, and subsequently on the North American station during the War of 1812. From June 1814 she was commanded by Capt. George Knight and was present at the bombardment of Fort McHenry in September 1814. She paid off out of commission into Ordinary (i.e. reserve) in August or September 1815. By 1822 she had been reduced to a hulk at Milford, but was then fitted out at Plymouth as a convict hulk to be stationed at Cork, where she remained until sold (for £2,010) there in 1837.