Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Master And Commander HMS Surprise Limited 15"
Ready for Immediate Display - Not a Model Ship kit
This Limited Edition model of the famous naval warship the HMS Surprise holds a great deal of detail and accents a nautical home perfectly. Based on the original 18th-century British Admiralty drawings, the vessel was sold to 20th Century Fox shortly after the acquisition, and was featured in the film Master and Commander. She still sails several times a year and now resides at the Maritime Museum of San Diego. Purchase this model today if you are looking for something that will fit on a desk or mantle, and still hold many details for a model this size.
15" Long x 5" Wide x 11" High (1:143 scale)
- Handcrafted from scratch by our master artisans
- Accurately hand-painted to match the actual tall ship HMS Surprise
- Authentic textured copper finish plates featured below the water line
- Amazing Details, including:
- Two authentic scale lifeboats
- Metal anchors weigh aside the bow
- 21 pin striped sails hold their shape and do not wrinkle
- Taut rigging with varied thread gauge and color
- British flags displayed throughout the vessel
- Model is attached to wooden base to provide security so model does not fall over
- Metal name plate is attached to wood base displaying the tall ship name HMS Surprise
- Extensive research of original plans, historic drawings, paintings, and actual photographs
HMS Surprise was a 38-gun frigate of the Hebe Class of the Royal Navy, although all these Fifth Rate frigates were re-classed as 46-gun under the general re-rating of February 1817, from when carronades on the quarter deck and forecastle were included in the rating. She carried a complement of 284 officers and ratings, and a primary armament of 28 eighteen-pounder guns on her upper deck, with 8 nine-pounder guns (and 6 32-pounder carronades) on her quarter deck and 2 nine-pounder guns (and 2 more 32-pounder carronades) on her forecastle.
The Surprise was ordered on 10 April 1809, and her keel was laid down at Milford Dockyard in Pembrokeshire in January 1810. She was launched on 25 July 1812, and sailed round to Plymouth Dockyard to be completed. Fitting out took place between 9 Augustand 1 December 1812, and she was commissioned in September 1812 under the command of Captain Sir Thomas John Cochrane, sailing for the West Indies on 19 December 1812. She measured 150 feet 4 inches on the gun deck, with a breadth of 40 feet and a half-inch, and a depth in hold of 12 feet 9 inches, giving a tonnage of just over 1,072.
Under Cochrane's command, she served initially on the Leeward Islands, where she captured the American 12-gun privateer Decatur on 16 January 1813, and subsequently on the North American station during the War of 1812. From June 1814 she was commanded by Capt. George Knight and was present at the bombardment of Fort McHenry in September 1814. She paid off out of commission into Ordinary (i.e. reserve) in August or September 1815. By 1822 she had been reduced to a hulk at Milford, but was then fitted out at Plymouth as a convict hulk to be stationed at Cork, where she remained until sold (for ï¿½2,010) there in 1837.