Customers Also Shopped
Velsheda Limited 35" Description
Brightening any room with their presence, these Limited Edition sailing ship models of the famous J-class Cup racing yacht Velsheda radiate the unbound freedom of the wind, graceful speed of the waves and winning spirit of their famous namesake. From atop a table, mantle or shelf, these elegant model yachts sail proudly as the perfect highlight for any beach house or bedroom, meeting room or office.
35" High x 4" Wide x 27" Long (1:58 scale)
- Individual plank on frame construction of the hull using fine quality woods, with each plank and wood grain visible through the paint
- High quality Craftsmanship and Details, including:
- Clear window panes in all deckhouses
- Brass wire railing running along gunwales
- Accurate scale of deck and hull components
- Finely stitched sails with quality rigging
- Limited production run only 100 of this model sail boats
- Certificate of Authenticity individually numbered and signed by HMS Founder and Master Builder Richard Norris
- Significant research to guarantee accuracy of this model yacht includes sources such as photos, historical plans and original artwork
- Pre-assembled, simply attach the masts and display
- Ready to display in less than five minutes
- Separate pre-assembled hull and sails ensure safe shipping and lower cost
- Insert mast in designated hole and clip brass rigging hooks as shown in illustrations
- Sails and rigging already complete
Designed by Charles Nicholson and built by Camper & Nicholson in 1933 for Mr W.L. Stephenson, Owner of Woolworth chain of shops, she was built in 1933 at Gosport. She was Nicholson's second design for a J Class and Stephenson's second big yacht.
"Velsheda" was named after Stephenson's three daughters, Velma, Sheila and Daphne. She raced with the greatest names in classic yachting including "Britannia", "Endeavour" and "Shamrock" between 1933 and 1936.
In her second season she won more than 40 races and achieved an outstanding record of success at Regatta's from Southend to Dartmouth. Other venues included Torbay, Swanage and of course the Solent, all under the control of the very famous Captain Mountfield.
The permanent racing crew at that time was probably around 16 men and this would have been augmented to around 30 for racing. When not required for sail changes, spare crew were moved to below decks.
In her day - around the late 1930's, she represented the most advanced technical design for spars, rigging, sails, deck gear and ropes. Her masts were aluminium, made by bending plates and riveting them together. Sails were made from the new terylene threads and deck gear now included winches for easier handling of sheets. The standing rigging was solid rod, even in the 30's, but with so much stretch in the rigging and systems it was inevitable that J Class masts could not be held in column and would collapse in stronger winds. In anything above a Force 3, there was serious concern about holding the rig in place without collapse.
Below decks accommodation was limited to just the main saloon, owners quarters aft, and storage for sails and equipment forward.
Stephenson also had a motor yacht named Bystander built to support In 2001 the new owner purchased a 120' Feadship (originally built for Henry Ford II) and this was renamed "Bystander". It was seen at many of the main regattas around the world, usually alongside 'Velsheda".
In 2007, a new "Bystander " was built in a classic style to support operations.
This unique yacht was rescued from a Hamble mud berth in 1984 by Terry Brabant, who economically refitted her for charter work with a new steel mast and limited interior. Still without an engine she sailed regularly along the UK South Coast on Charter Work and occasionally ventured to the Mediterranean and Caribbean.
Occasionally she raced in the annual Round the Island Race.
She was later sold to a Swiss owner who started a refit programme but was unable to complete much work due to funding problems.
Whilst on charter during the early 90's Velsheda visited the UK East Coast where she found herself on the beach on a falling tide. Fortunately she was recovered safely!
Occasionally she raced in the annual Round the Island Race and although in poor condition, she was still an impressive site, competing the 60 mile course in quick time. She was later sold to a Swiss owner who started a refit programme but was unable to complete the work programme due to funding problems. She was then laid up and moored at Gosport until 1996 when the sale to the present owner was completed. "Velsheda" was purchased in 1996 as a bare hull and following a comprehensive rebuild was re-launched in November 1997.