Customers Also Shopped
Valkyrie 25" Limited Description
Let wind and waves take you away with these Limited Edition wooden model sailboats of Valkyrie, challenger to the America’s Cup. Graceful lines and finely-crafted features adorn this high-quality yacht model in a size that is perfect for any office desk, bedroom shelf or mantle in your sunroom.
24" L x 4" W x 25" H (1:66 scale)
- Individual plank on frame construction of the hull using fine quality woods, with each plank and wood grain visible through the paint
- High quality Craftsmanship and Details, including:
- High quality woods used in construction of hull and deck features
- Many details and items on deck, including tied-down lifeboat, deck cleats, window panes in deckhouses and more
- Thick, sturdy canvas used for all sails
- Limited production run of these model sailing ships
- Significant research to guarantee accuracy of this model includes sources such as photos, historical plans and original artwork
- Pre-assembled, simply attach the masts and display
- Ready to display in less than five minutes
- Separate pre-assembled hull and sails ensure safe shipping and lower cost
- Insert mast in designated hole and clip brass rigging hooks as shown in illustrations
- Sails and rigging already complete
Valkyrie II was the unsuccessful British challenger of the eighth America's Cup race in 1893 against American defender "Vigilant".
Valkyrie II, a keel cutter, was designed by George Lennox Watson and built by D & W Henderson & Company, Meadow side, Patrick on the Clyde, Scotland in 1893 for owner Lord Dunraven of the Royal Yacht Squadron.
Valkyrie II had a steel frame, a wooden hull, and a pine deck.
Valkyrie II was launched on Apr. 29th, 1893 and sailed to the U.S. that October to compete in the eighth America’s Cup. It lost to Nathanael Herreshoff’s Vigilant, 0-3.
Valkyrie II existed for barely a single year. On July 5th, 1894 this Cup contender collided with A. D. Clarke’s cutter yacht Satanita at the Mud Hook Regatta on the Firth of Clyde, killing one crewman. Valkyrie II broke up and sunk nine minutes later.
* Overall length: 35.84 m
* Length at water line: 26.06 m
* Beam (width): 6.80 m
* Draft: 5.03 m
* Displacement: 140 tons