Customers Also Shopped
Defender Limited 16"
Capture the racing spirit with this adorable model yacht inspired by the famous America’s Cup champion Defender. With clean lines and graceful features Defender model sail boats will bring a nautical flair and winning spirit to the décor of any room, and are perfectly sized for display upon an office desk, meeting room table or child’s bedroom shelf.
16" Long x 2" Wide x 17" High (1:79 scale)
- Quality construction of solid wooden parts
- Suits any room or décor with clean lines and simple colors
- Pre-assembled, simply attach the sails and display
- All rigging, lines and stays feature brass hooks which attach into eyelets on mast, boom, bowsprit or deck
- Ready to display in less than five minutes
Defender was the victorious United States defender of the tenth America's Cup in 1895 against challenger Valkyrie III
Defender was designed by Nathanael Greene Herreshoff and built by the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company in 1895. It was Herreshoff's second victorious America's Cup defender design.
Defender was a sloop with all-metal construction: steel, aluminum, and manganese bronze. It was owned by William Kissam Vanderbilt, Edwin D. Morgan and C. Oliver Iselin, and skippered by Henry C. Haff.
Defender defeated the New York Yacht Club's Vigilant then went on to defend the cup against British keel cutter Valkyrie III. Following the contest, Defender was towed to New Rochelle where it remained for another four years without sailing. It was rebuilt to race trials against the 1899 America's Cup defense candidate, Columbia. Defender was broken up in 1901.
* Overall length: 37.5m
* Length at water line: 27.17m
* Beam (width): 7.03m
* Draft: 5.81m
* Displacement: 151.5 tonnes
* Sail area: 1134.3 m2