Customers Also Shopped
Defender Limited 25" Description
Simply attach sails and DEFENDER model ship is Ready for Immediate Display
Perfect for any sunroom mantle, bedroom shelf or office desk, the graceful lines of these high quality model sail boats of America’s Cup winner Defender are adorned with finely crafted features. Wind and waves will take you away with this Limited Edition Defender model yacht.
25" High x 4" Wide x 24" Long (1:66 scale)
- Authentic museum-quality scale replica of the real Defender racing yacht
- Individual plank on frame construction of the hull using fine quality woods, with each plank and wood grain visible through the paint
- High quality Craftsmanship and Details over 20” model, including:
- Higher quality woods used in construction of hull and deck features
- Increased number of details and items on deck, including tied-down lifeboat, deck cleats, window panes in deckhouses and more
- Improved details and accuracy of all deck and hull components
- Thicker, sturdier canvas used for all sails
- Limited production run of these sailboats models
- Significant research to guarantee accuracy of this model includes sources such as photos, historical plans and original artwork
Defender was the 1895 America's Cup defender.
Defender was designed by Nathanael Greene Herreshoff and built by the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company in 1895. It was Herreshoff's second victorious America's Cup defender design.
Defender was a sloop with all-metal construction: steel, aluminum, and manganese bronze. It was owned by William Kissam Vanderbilt, Edwin D. Morgan and C. Oliver Iselin, and skippered by Henry C. Haff.
Defender defeated the New York Yacht Club's Vigilant then went on to defend the cup against British keel cutter Valkyrie III. Following the contest, Defender was towed to New Rochelle where it remained for another four years without sailing. It was rebuilt to race trials against the 1899 America's Cup defense candidate, Columbia. Defender was broken up in 1901.
- Overall length: 37.5m
- Length at water line: 27.17m
- Beam (width): 7.03m
- Draft: 5.81m
- Displacement: 151.5 tonnes
- Sail area: 1134.3 m2